How would a set of custom fit golf clubs help my game?
Custom fit golf clubs has become a very hot topic as of late – from the PGA Tour, the LPGA Tour and now at your local golf shop retailer stores everywhere. Some golf shops are being left behind and other custom fit golf shops have become leaders – promoting advanced golf club fitting techniques and ‘Out of the Box’ concepts. This is where I come in. In the past (and still today) golf clubs were primarily purchased off the shelf with a one size fits all theme. It was not correct then, nor is it now.
Many Professional golf clubmaker’s now have the tools and understanding of what a properly fit golf club should look like, specification wise. We’ve all seen tall golfers being force to play from a crouched positions and shorter players choking down on their golf clubs (or having the toe of the club sit extremely upright). Neither of these conditions is acceptable to me as a professional golf club fitter.
Many players struggle with directional control which comes from the length and lie of the golf club not being set correctly. If you are having to choke down or have excessive shaft length sit above your hands, then consistent ball striking will be a problem. Custom fit golf clubs will not only correct this address position issue, but will improve your on center hits which is directly related to ball speed and directional control. A pure shot will outperform a toe or heel shot in both velocity and direction.
Tom Wishon, a world renowned golf club head designer, leader and outspoken statesman for the need of professional level Custom Fit Golf Clubs, has endorsed myself, Dan Connelly and my True Length Technology® Fitting System on several occasions. I first met Tom at the ‘Professional Clubmakers Society’ annual event held in Louisville Kentucky in 2007, and invited him to review my system. The look in his eye said it all when he realized I had developed a perfect math model. True Length Technology® has the ability to fit everyone due to it’s full range fitting charts. Custom fit golf clubs, built to the True Length Technology® math model, will allow every golfer to stand athletic with no more crouching, excessive spine tilt nor compensation of any form. No gripping up or down on the shaft in an attempt to correct the improper lie angle. A perfect fit regardless of your size.
Custom fit golf clubs, when fit to my True Length Technology® math model, will keep the golfer remaining in their strongest athletic address position – for every club in their bag. The concept is leaps and bounds ahead of all other fitting techniques where the builder corrects the lie of the clubs after they are built (or at least attempts too).
True Length Technology® goes into the build following a 100% math modeled excel program. Set the lies and lengths correctly to the math model (discovered during the fitting procedure) and the end product will keep every golfer standing athletic. This will promote superior ball contact and directional control, with improved spin rates and possibly distance.
If you are a Custom Golf Club Maker of any level please see my Club Makers Registry page to sign up for the Excel charts. This will instantly make you a better clubmaker and fitter if you follow my proven techniques. I have clubmaker’s all over the world that follow my procedures. A number of them are listed on the Golf Digest top 100 clubmaker’s list.
The golf industry standard for the frequency of a golf shaft for many years has been simple butt frequency. This means that the flex of the entire shaft is determined by the last 5 inches of any given shaft. For a driver this is around 11% of the entire shaft length and for an iron perhaps 13%. Not very impressive. We know nothing about the mid section nor the tip of the shaft.
Due to the lack of advancements in shaft frequency within the custom golf club realm, I developed an excel program, which would allow the analysis of a minimum of 50% of the shaft length. Now the true differences that exist over the length of the golf shaft can be determined between any 2 shafts (and up to 13 at any given time). At first glance these 2 shafts may seem identical in butt frequency but the reality is the tip section may be completely different. The knowledge gained here allows the clubmaker to see the discrepancies that exist down the length of the shaft. Softer tip sections translate into a higher launch, stiffer tip sections will keep the ball down. With the ability to sort 13 shafts at a time, and entire set can be finely tuned to an overall frequency rather than just the butt frequency.
Please see my Club Makers Registry page to sign up for the Excel charts.
Single length golf clubs – The latest form of custom fit golf clubs
- Single length (every iron is near an 8 iron length) ensures all possible elements of swing feel are identical for each club in the set. Same MOI, same total weight, same head weight, same balance point…. the chance for improved shot consistency is greatly improved.
- Identical length & lie allows the golfer the opportunity for the same stance, same posture, same swing plane, which will lead to improved shot consistency.
- Both the Sterling® and the Pinhawk Single Length Irons will be fit to the True Length Technology® math model. Single length players still have a need for Custom Fit Golf Clubs even though the clubs are all the same length. Stature still plays a big part in getting the right combination of length and lie.
Custom fit golf clubs – Fitting within my Fitting Studio
I carries a full line of left and right handed ‘mini sets’ Custom Fit Golf Clubs which are used as TLT fitting clubs. Each mini set is built with a 4 iron, 7 iron and a pitching wedge. The Fitting Studio was designed this way to accommodate every size of golfer, from the tallest gentleman to the petite woman and now children. There are 16 adult excel charts as well as 10 additional charts for children.
Fitting rack – Both left and right hand available
Each TLT Fitting rack consists of:
- Drivers available -> Series 0 (petite) – Series 15 (giant of a man)
- 4 iron’s @ 58 degrees of lie -> Series 0 – Series 15
- 7 iron’s @ 61 degrees of lie -> Series 0 – Series 15 plus 10 children’s
- PW’s at 64 degrees of lie -> Series 0 – Series 15
- Putters -> Series 0 – Series 15
- Both left and Right handed mini sets – 4, 7, PW for verification of the fit
- Set of 9 irons to test flex LL to XX
- Set of 5 drivers to test flex LL to X
- Graphite vs steel for total weight comparison
- Different grip sizes to test
- Different grip materials to test
Dan’s Custom Golf Shop Fitting Studio for custom fit golf clubs
- All demo clubs are built to the True Length Technology® standards
- Wrist to floor measurements for a starting point help to formulate the final math model for length and lie
- Full interview to determine what you like and dislike about your current set, strong points, weak points, favorite club…
- Are you dealing with any ailments or restrictions that may influence the decision on shaft material or grip size?