How would a set of custom fit golf clubs help my game?
The term ‘Custom fit golf clubs’ has become a very hot topic as of late. Every time you watch the PGA Tour there will be a commercial covering custom fitting. Many Custom fit shops will focus on shaft selection and no consideration is give to length and lie. Golfers come in all sizes, and with a fitting at Dan’s Custom Golf Shop, the length and lie angle will be a priority. The goal: Keep you athletic for every club and formulate the best combination of head choice, length, lie, flex and grip size.
Not all custom fittings are the same.
Some golf shops are being left behind while other custom fit golf shops are leading the way. Promoting advanced golf club fitting techniques and ‘Out of the Box’ concepts like True Length Technology® will change your game. In the past, golf clubs were primarily purchased off the shelf with a one size fits all theme. It was not correct then, nor is it now.
Many tall golfers being force to play from a crouched position just like shorter players are excessively choking down on their clubs. Having the toe of the club sit extremely upright or flat will promote directional issues.
Many players struggle with these directional issues, which comes from the length and lie of the golf club not being set correctly. True Length Technology® Custom fit golf clubs will not only correct your address, but will improve your swing plane. A properly fit golf club is directly related to ball speed and direction. A correct address will promote a pure shot, with good spin and great directional control .
Tom Wishon, a world renowned custom golf club designer, mentor and outspoken statesman for the need of Custom Fit Golf Clubs, has endorsed the True Length Technology® Fitting System on several occasions.
Advantages of a True Length Technology® fitting.
- a consistent athletic address position regardless of your size
- proper length
- proper lie angles
- no more crouching for tall players
- no more gripping down for smaller player
- a consistent swing plane
- improved directional control
- improved ‘on center’ hits
- a perfect fit regardless of your size.
True Length Technology® is leaps and bounds ahead of all other fitting techniques where the builder attempts to correct the boxed set. Correcting golf clubs is what is done in a retrofit program, not for a new quality build.
Once the proper True Length Technology® Series has been determined (discovered during the fitting procedure), the Excel program takes over. By utilizing a 100% math modeled excel program, the correlated length and lie angles are predetermined. The design intent is to keep every golfer standing athletic.
If you are a Custom Golf Clubmaker of any level please see the Club Makers Registry page to Register for the Excel charts. This will instantly make you a better clubmaker and fitter if you follow the True Length Technology® proven techniques. Clubmaker’s all over the world now follow the True Length Technology® procedures. A number of them are listed on the Golf Digest top 100 clubmaker’s list.
The industry standard for the frequency of a golf shaft has been simple butt frequency. This means that the flex of the entire shaft is determined by the last 5 inches of any given shaft. For a driver this is around 11% of the entire shaft length and for an iron perhaps 13%. Not very impressive due to the lack of data for the mid and tip section of the shaft.
True Frequency Technology® was developed as an excel program for shaft profiling. This will allow the analysis of 50 – 75% of the shaft length. Now the true differences that exist over the length of a set of golf shaft can be determined. At first glance, any 2 shafts may seem identical in butt frequency but the reality is the tip section may be completely different.
The knowledge gained here allows the clubmaker to have the correct profile for any given player. Softer tip sections translate into a higher launch, where stiffer tip sections will keep the ball down. With the ability to sort 13 shafts at a time, and entire set can be finely tuned to an overall profile frequency rather than just the butt frequency.
Please see the Club Makers Registry page to sign up for the Excel charts.
Single length golf clubs – The latest form of custom fit golf clubs
- Single length (every iron is near an 8 or 9 iron length) promotes a consistent swing and feel for each club in the set. Same MOI, same total weight, same head weight, same balance point…. the chance for improved shot consistency is there
- Identical length & lie allows the golfer the opportunity for the same stance, posture, and swing plane, which will lead to improved shot consistency
- All Single Length Irons will be fit to the True Length Technology® math model. Single length players still have a need for Custom Fitting even though the clubs are all the same length and lie. Stature still plays a big part in getting the right combination of length and lie.
Custom fit golf clubs – Fitting within the TLT Fitting Studio
A full line of left and right handed ‘mini sets’ are used as TLT fitting clubs. Each mini set is built with a 4 iron, 7 iron and a pitching wedge, all at their TLT designed lie angle. The Fitting Studio allows every size of golfer, from the tallest gentleman to the petite woman (and now children) to be it properly. There are 16 adult charts and 10 additional charts for children.
Both left and right hand available
Each TLT Fitting rack consists of:
- Drivers available -> Series 0 (petite) – Series 15 (giant of a man)
- 4 iron’s @ 58 degrees of lie -> Series 0 – Series 15
- 7 iron’s @ 61 degrees of lie -> Series 0 – Series 15 plus 10 children’s
- PW’s at 64 degrees of lie -> Series 0 – Series 15
- Putters -> Series 0 – Series 15
- Both left and Right handed mini sets – 4, 7, PW for verification of the fit
- Set of 9 irons to test flex LL to XX
- Set of 5 drivers to test flex LL to X
- Graphite vs steel for total weight comparison
- Different grip sizes to test
- Different grip materials to test
Dan’s Custom Golf Shop Fitting Studio
- All demo clubs are built to the True Length Technology® standards
- Wrist to floor measurements, height and size, all help to formulate the final math model for length and lie
- Full interview to determine: likes and dislikes about your current set, strong points, weak points, favorite club…
- Are you dealing with any ailments or restrictions that may influence the decision on shaft material or grip size?