Dan’s Custom Golf Shop – About Us
Dan’s Custom Golf Shop was established in the late 1990’s focusing on true custom fitting. A consistent athletic address position is a requirement in the development of proper lengths.
If you are not playing form an athletic address position you are being forced to compensate.
The ‘About us’ story
It all started with the desire to build a personal set for myself. How did I go from a personal set to developing an Internationally recognized Award Winning Fitting System?
Maltby Clubmaking Academy
First I attended three basic courses at ‘The Golfworks’ in Ottawa. General assembly and repair, a fitting class and the Professional shaft fitting class. Within 3 years I got the call, an invitation to the Maltby Clubmaking Academy Master’s Class in Ohio. The program involved personal instruction with Ralph Maltby at his home studio. Only a select few qualify for this advanced program and is every Clubmakers dream.
Next, write the Golf Clubmaker’s Association (GCA) 394 question exam to obtain their Advanced / Professional status. This is the highest level attainable within the GCA.
Then, obtain the Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS) ‘Class A’ clubmaker status by passing their exam and submitting 5 clubs for certification. Each club had a full blueprint inspection, held to tight tolerances and a professional appearance.
As my clubfitting skills developed, I realized how poorly the fitting side of the industry had evolved.
Introducing True Length Technology
Research now turned to proper length and lie fitting. Past fittings left me with long irons that remained too long and short irons that were too short!
- As an average sized man I needed to understand why my short and long irons failed to fit?
- Develop a sound understanding of how to properly fit smaller as well as taller golfers
- Understand why current fitting charts were not, and still remain, inaccurate
Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
While on route to the 2007 Clubmaker’s convention in Louisville Ky., I meet with the PCS director, Jerry Hoefling Jr.. After spending time with Jerry I offered to present True Length Technology to the membership. Members packed the house at the convention hall for a new understanding of length and lie fitting, from a relatively unknown clubmaker.
While at the convention I had the opportunity to meet with Tom Wishon, a highly regarded golf club designer and innovator. I was given the opportunity to personally present the True Length Technology Fitting System to Mr. Wishon. He immediately recognized the advantages and how True Length Technology kept every player athletic. Regardless of their size, the True Length Technology formula will keep every player athletic. Tom was so impressed that he asked me to write a technical paper to be the feature in his April 2008 ‘E-tech’ report.
Association of Golf Clubfitting Professionals (AGCP)
Later that year I presented True Length Technology at the Association of Golf Clubfitting Professionals (AGCP) Round Table Event in Georgia. The AGCP Chairman, Roy Nix, awarded True Length Technology ‘The Best New Fitting Idea’. By the end of 2008, 95% of the AGCP membership had True Length Technology as one of there preferred build methodologies.
True Length Technology was developed to bring custom fitting to a whole new level. One consistent address position was not possible with current build charts.
Introducing True Frequency Technology
Now that the length and lie issues had been resolved, golf shaft frequency needed addressing. Shafts that have identical butt frequencies can be completely different in the mid and tip sections. This is why profiling a shaft incrementally, down the length of the shaft, is so important. The True Frequency Technology sort engine mathematically sorts these profiled shafts by overall flex for greater consistency.
True Frequency Technology was developed as an improvement on butt frequency. By measuring in 5″ increments, down the length of a shaft, up to 75% of every shaft can be analysed and sorted before assembly.
The software will identify the 3 key stages of a golf shaft
- butt frequency: how stiff the shaft will feel
- mid frequency: overall swing tempo, transition and timing
- tip frequency: softness of the tip as related to the release of a golf club
Professional Clubmaking Certifications and Awards
- 2001 – Assembly and repair – Maltby Clubmaking Academy
- 2003 – Professional clubfitting – Maltby Clubmaking Academy
- Professional shaft fitting class – Maltby Clubmaking Academy
- 2004 – Master’s Program – Maltby Clubmaking Academy featuring Ralph Maltby. This is the most elite clubmaking program available and is only offered to individuals who have proven ability.
- Advanced / Professional – Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA). Certified upon completion of the 394 question Certification exam
- 2005 – Developer, Copyright & Trademark owner of the True Length Technology® fitting system
- Certified Rifle Center
- 2007 – ‘Class A’ Clubmaker – Professional Clubmakers’ Society (PCS). Testing and blueprinted builds were submitted for Certification
- Presented ‘True Length Technology®’ at the Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS) annual expo in Louisville Kentucky
- Presenter / instructor – Association of Golf Clubfitting Professionals (AGCP) Round Table Event
- AGCP Awarded – True Length Technology® the ‘Best New Fitting Idea’ – AGCP Round Table event
- 2008 – Certified 36 Professional Clubmakers at the Association of Golf Clubfitting Professionals Round Table event as True Length Technology® Club fitters
- 2009 – Developer, Copyright & Trademark owner of the True Frequency Technology® shaft profiling and sorting system
- 2016 – ACCRA golf shaft fitter and builder through the ACCRAU program
- 2019 – KRANK golf fitter and builder, promoting the world Long Drive Championship driver designs
- Metrologist – high accuracy precision inspector at the General Motors Regional Engineering Centre in Oshawa, ON.
- Association of Co-ordinate Metrology Canada (ACMC) – Chairman 2 years, member 5 years – Based at the National Research Council in Ottawa, this group of individuals were devoted to training high level metrology practices. Colleagues include; university professors, scientists, world renowned physicists and dimensional experts from around the world
- Advanced CAD/CAM technician – General Motors University (Detroit Mi.), and Origin International (Markham ON)
- High accuracy technician – LK Co-ordinate Measuring Machines (Michigan)
Durham College (1980) – 3 year Mechanical Technology Program
Our commitment to the advancement of golfers is second to none.
Dan’s Custom Golf Shop is a family owned business. Located in the quaint village of Hampton, Ontario, Canada. My wife, Marianne keeps the flowers in full bloom and is available to take messages. Our 2 sons, Jay and Eric, helped build the new addition allowing us to now have a ‘Fitting Studio’. Most importantly, we all are True Length Technology® product testers, which has helped turn a theory into a reality.
Fitting Studio – every golfer of every size can now be fit properly
The Fitting studio now utilizes 16 mini sets for length and lie testing. These mini sets help confirm the proper length and lie for the proposed build. By testing with 5 or 6 mini sets we will confirm;
- your strongest athletic address position
- that the long, mid and short irons will all conform to your personal athletic address position
TLT Mini Set specifications
- 4 irons are at 58* of lie
- 7 irons are at 61* of lie
- Pitching wedges are at 64* of lie
- 16 mini sets with near 6″ of total length range, allowing the tallest as well as the smallest be fit properly
- Plus children’s fitting clubs for all ages
True Length Technology® has the ability to fit a giant of a man as well as any petite woman.
Through a series of measurements, testing and confirmation with the TLT mini sets, we have the ability to:
- build a completely math modeled True Length Technology set
- retrofit your existing set to have an identical hand position for every club – True Length Technology®
- help you develop a very consistent address and swing plane
- promote more on center hits
- improve the overall performance of every club
Ralph Maltby Endorsement
Congratulations on Your Master’s Status Dan
Tom Wishon Endorsement
Fitting outside the traditional box – The concept of True Length Technology® from clubmaker Dan Connelly
After hearing Dan’s explanations for his True Length Technology® length fitting methodology, I had to admit his work definitely has merit and should be considered by all Clubmakers. As a result, I asked Dan to write an article about his TLT system so we could expose Clubmakers to a brand new length fitting methodology that is most definitely worth all club makers’ consideration.
Why Choose Dan’s Custom Golf Shop?
- Certified Professional clubmaker and fitter
- Quality – The build and fit will be exceptional
- True Length Technology – the only fitting system where players remain athletic for every club
- True Frequency Technology – profiling every shaft and sorting for consistency
- Improved ball flight – if the fit is right the ball flight is straight with true backspin
True Length Technology® has gained acceptance and respect within the golf clubmakers community. This Award Winning Fitting System is now used in 18 countries by over 200 Registered clubmakers.
If you are a clubmaker, consider registering as a True Length Technology fitter and builder.
Appointments are required at Dan’s Custom Golf Shop
Please consider visiting the Dan’s Custom Golf Shop Fitting Studio when looking to improve your equipment.