Dan’s Custom Golf Shop – About Us
Dan’s Custom Golf Shop was established in the late 1990’s. Dan’s focus is true custom fitting and high level builds. As my skills developed, the more I realized how poorly the industry had evolved.
The ‘About us’ story
How did I go from building a new personal set to becoming a respected, innovative and Certified Master clubmaker?
Maltby Clubmaking Academy
I attended the General Assembly class at ‘The Golfworks’ in Ottawa. Then the Fitting class followed by the Professional Shaft class. Within 3 years I was Certified Master (1 of 3 in Canada) by the Maltby Clubmaking Academy in Ohio. The Masters class involved personal instruction with Ralph Maltby.
Next, write the Golf Clubmaker’s Association (GCA) 394 question exam becoming certified as an Advanced / Professional. This is the highest level attainable within the GCA.
Then certified as a ‘Class A’ clubmaker with the Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS) by passing the written exam. Five golf clubs were also submitted for certification and inspection, all to tight tolerances and a professional appearance.
Introducing True Length Technology
Research now turned to proper length and lie fitting. Past fittings left me with long irons that remained too long and short irons that were too short!
- As an average sized man I needed to understand why my short and long irons failed to fit?
- Develop a sound understanding of how to fit smaller as well as taller golfers
- Understand why current fitting charts were not, and still remain, inaccurate
Professional Clubmakers Society
At the 2007 PCS Clubmaker’s convention in Louisville Ky., I had the opportunity to meet Tom Wishon. I personally presented Mr. Wishon the advantages of the True Length Technology Fitting System. Tom was so impressed that he asked me to write a technical paper for his April 2007 ‘E-tech’ report.
Prior to the convention I meet with Jerry Hoefling Jr. at the PCS headquarters. I offered to present True Length Technology to the membership. The convention hall was packed for a new understanding of length and lie fitting, from a relatively unknown clubmaker.
Association of Golf Clubfitting Professionals
In the fall of 2007, True Length Technology was presented at the Association of Golf Clubfitting Professionals (AGCP) Round Table Event. AGCP Chairman, Roy Nix, awarded True Length Technology ‘The Best New Fitting Idea’. By the end of 2008 most of the membership had True Length Technology as one of there preferred build methods.
True Length Technology was developed to bring custom fitting to a whole new level. One consistent address position was not possible with current golf club building charts.
Introducing True Frequency Technology
Current golf shaft frequency methodologies also needed upgrading. Shafts can have identical butt frequencies, but can be completely different in the mid and tip sections. This is why profiling a shaft incrementally, down the length of the shaft, is important. The True Frequency Technology sort engine then mathematically sorts these shafts for greater consistency.
True Frequency Technology was developed as an improvement on butt frequency. By profiling in 5″ increments, down the length of a shaft, up to 75% of every shaft can be analysed and sorted before assembly.
True Frequency Technology will result in unparalleled consistency and feel. The software will identify the 3 key stages of a golf shaft
- butt frequency: how stiff the shaft will feel
- mid frequency: overall swing tempo, transition and timing
- tip frequency: softness of the tip as related to the release of a golf club
Professional Certifications and Awards
- 2001 – Assembly and repair – Maltby Clubmaking Academy
- 2003 – Professional clubfitting – Maltby Clubmaking Academy
- 2004 – Master’s Program – Maltby Clubmaking Academy. The most elite clubmaking program available and is only offered to individuals who have proven their ability.
- Advanced / Professional – Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA). Certified upon completion of the 394 question Certification exam
- 2005 – Developer, Copyright & Trademark owner of the True Length Technology® fitting system
- Certified Rifle Center
- 2007 – ‘Class A’ Clubmaker – Professional Clubmakers’ Society (PCS). Testing and sample builds were submitted for Certification
- Presented ‘True Length Technology®’ at the Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS) annual expo in Louisville Kentucky
- Presenter / instructor – Association of Golf Clubfitting Professionals (AGCP) Round Table Event
- AGCP Awarded – True Length Technology® the ‘Best New Fitting Idea’ – AGCP Round Table event
- 2008 – Certified 36 Professional Clubmakers at the Association of Golf Clubfitting Professionals Round Table event as True Length Technology® Club fitters
- 2009 – Developer, Copyright & Trademark owner of the True Frequency Technology® shaft profiling and sorting system
- 2016 – ACCRA golf shaft fitter and builder through the ACCRAU program
- Precision Inspector – 20 years at the highest level with General Motors Regional Engineering Centre in Oshawa.
- Association of Co-ordinate Metrology Canada (ACMC) – Chairman 2 years, member 5 years – Based out of the National Research Council in Ottawa, this group of individuals were devoted to correct dimensional practices. Colleagues include; university professors, scientists, world renowned physicists and dimensional experts from around the world
- Advanced CAD/CAM technician – General Motors University (Detroit Mi), and Origin International (Markham ON)
- High accuracy technician – LK Co-ordinate Measuring Machines (Michigan)
Durham College (1980) – 3 year Mechanical Technology Program
Our commitment to the advancement of golfers is second to none.
Dan’s Custom Golf Shop is a family owned business. Located in the quaint village of Hampton, Ontario, Canada. My wife, Marianne keeps the flowers in full bloom and is available to take messages. Our 2 sons, Jay and Eric, helped build the new addition allowing us to now have a ‘Fitting Studio’. Most importantly, we all are True Length Technology® product testers, which has helped turn a theory into a reality.
Fitting Studio – every golfer of every size can now be fit properly
The Fitting studio now utilizes 16 mini sets for length and lie testing. These mini sets help confirm the proper length and lie for the proposed build. By testing with 5 or 6 mini sets we will confirm;
- your strongest athletic address position
- that the long, mid and short irons will all conform to your personal athletic address position
TLT Mini Set specifications
- 4 irons are at 58* of lie
- 7 irons are at 61* of lie
- Pitching wedges are at 64* of lie
- 16 mini sets with near 6″ of total length range, allowing the tallest as well as the smallest be fit properly
- Plus children’s fitting clubs for all ages
True Length Technology® has the ability to fit a giant of a man as well as any petite woman.
Through a series of measurements, testing and confirmation with the TLT mini sets, we have the ability to:
- build a completely math modeled True Length Technology set
- retrofit your existing set to have an identical hand position for every club – True Length Technology®
- help you develop a very consistent address and swing plane
- promote more on center hits
- improve the overall performance of every club
Ralph Maltby Endorsement
Congratulations on Your Master’s Status Dan
Tom Wishon Endorsement
Fitting outside the traditional box – The concept of True Length Technology® from clubmaker Dan Connelly
After hearing Dan’s explanations for his True Length Technology® length fitting methodology, I had to admit his work definitely has merit and should be considered by all Clubmakers. As a result, I asked Dan to write an article about his TLT system so we could expose Clubmakers to a brand new length fitting methodology that is most definitely worth all club makers’ consideration.
Why Choose Dan’s Custom Golf Shop?
- Certified – trained by leaders of the industry
- Quality – The build and fit will be exceptional
- True Length Technology – the only fitting system where players remain athletic for every club
- True Frequency Technology – profiling every shaft and sorting for consistency
- Improved ball flight – if the fit is right the ball flight is straight with true backspin
True Length Technology® has gained acceptance and respect within the golf club makers community. This Award Winning Fitting System is now used in 18 countries by over 200 Registered clubmakers.
If you are a clubmaker consider registering as a True Length Technology fitter and builder.
Appointments are required at Dan’s Custom Golf Shop
Please consider visiting the Dan’s Custom Golf Shop Fitting Studio when looking to improve your equipment.