How a True Length Technology® Fitting will improve your game
Length and Lie – Understand the importance of the correct length and lie of your golf clubs
I have developed this series of CAD images (below) to help in the understanding of the importance of length and lie.
The images below will show you what happens at ground level when a single athletic address position is maintained. In other words, all grips end at exactly the same vertical hand position, putting all the deviation at the head. So if the length and lie are designed correctly (slide 1 – True Length Technology®) the head will sit ‘square at impact’. If the length and lie are not designed correctly, the resultant head position will ‘not be square at impact’ (slides 2 and 3 – typical OEM specifications – 2 views).
This presentation will also help golf club makers develop a sound understanding of why True Length Technology® is the only way they should be building clubs. Please see my Club Maker’s Registry to become a TLT Clubfitter and have your shop listed on my site.
What happens at ground level when you keep a consistant hand position?
The following 3 CAD shots are based on maintaining a singular athletic address position with a common hand or common grip height position. This is where the distance from your hands to the ground, your spine tilt and hand position relative to the butt cap remain constant – for every club.
- No palming
- No excess shaft above your hands
- Consistent address position
Slide 1 – Build specifications – The True Length Technology® math model
Perfect set-up regardless of your size. All lies angles will sit perfectly from a singular athletic address position.
True Length Technology® has 16 adult fitting charts and 10 more children’s charts, so everyone can be fit perfectly to the math model. No gripping up or down all the while maintaining the same knee bend and spine tilt. One singular athletic address position for every club. It doesn’t get any simpler than this.
So with a common and consistent grip height:
- All 3 clubs will sit true to the ground (parallel) with a common grip height position based on the True Length Technology® math model
- Lie angles are all correct relative to the singular athletic address (and hand) position
- With the correct TLT Series every golfer will stand athletic
- One singular athletic address position
- One swing
- Mathematically perfect lengths and lie angles
- the SW sitting correct at ground level
- the 7 iron would be 1.24″ below the ground
- the 3 iron would have to be 2.37″ below the ground.
- The SW is sitting correct at ground level
- The 7 iron is sitting upright 3.8 degrees
- The 3 iron is sitting upright 6.4 degrees
- Directional control, thin shots, risk of the heel catching, choking down in an attempt to correct – are all issues that will live in this OEM set
Club heads are at a high risk of breakage and are pushing the bend ability envelope!
True Length Technology will correct this by addressing both the length and lie – allowing the desired ‘Consistent Athletic Address Position’ as shown in Slide 1
- The above scenarios were developed to help golfers and golf club makers understand the importance of length and lie and why True Length Technology® was developed
- In a typical of set of OEM irons (as purchased), a few clubs may have the same lie but different lengths. If so these clubs need to be corrected or suffer directional control
- You don’t want to compensate your address position so you fit the golf club. You want to remain athletic for every golf club and have the golf club fit you
- True Length Technology® has multiple ways of correcting your clubs through length adjustments, lie adjustments, or a combination of both
- Custom fit golf clubs, built or corrected to the True Length Technology® math model, will bring your handicap down and your enjoyment up
- Please contact us to get your golf clubs retrofit or have a new set built.